Sunday, September 22, 2013

I Created God. (a story of faith)

I am the center of the Universe. The world revolves around me. I am the master of my destiny.
           
I awoke one morning to find it raining. This was not a good thing as I had much planned for this particular day. And so, I ordered the rain to stop, yet it continued on as if I wasn't there. I raised my voice and demanded in no uncertain terms that the rain stop. The rain continued on without a peep. It did not even take notice of me or acknowledge my rant. It just kept raining. It did not look at me, or explain why it was refusing to obey my orders. It just kept raining.
           
I finally accepted that the rain would not stop so I arranged my day around this stubborn rain and did other chores. As it turns out I repaired a water pipe that was about to break. Had it not rained this water pipe would have damaged much in my home. Could it be that the rain knew more than I? No, it can’t be so. It’s just water; it can’t think; it has no intelligence. Is it then just a coincidence?
           
I awoke on yet another morning and the sun was shining and it was hot. I had much to do on this day and my work was in the garden. This is my garden, my home, my domain. I told the sun to back off a little bit and allow the air to cool, but the sun did not listen to me. I tried to stare the sun down, but the sun stared back and it hurt my eyes; I had to look away.

I called for clouds to cover the sun, but instead the clouds faded and vanished until there were only blue skies. When I see these clouds again I will give them a piece of my mind, they will surely understand who I am. At that moment, the sun then shone even hotter than before as if to say, “Who are you?” I told the sun who I am; I yelled to the sun, “I AM!” I could feel the temperature rise almost instantly as if this sun was trying to tell me something. I gave in to this incorrigible sun and instead went inside to rest.

In my home, my domain, my world, I looked around miffed in apparent failure to control my surroundings. How could this have happened? Where did I go wrong? How did I lose control?

As I sat in my self-pity I began to feel oddly. The lights around me were fuzzy. I felt heavy, perhaps a little out of breath, even a little weak. I tried to get to my car, it always obeyed me, but I couldn’t find the strength. I called for help and soon there were men and women in uniforms with red crosses on their shirts pounding on my chest. What was happening to me, here in my domain, my world?

I awoke, and as I contemplated my surroundings I realized that I am not the master of my destiny. I understood that the world does not revolve around me. I now know that am not the center of the universe.

But if not me, then who? It can’t be the rain for the rain only comes around occasionally; it can’t be the sun for the sun gives way to the clouds and the day gives way to the night. The Universe is there, a wonder for all to see. The universe helps us tell time and helps to keep us from getting lost. But it only helps; it does not have power over us, and certainly not over me.  

Perhaps I should create something greater than I. I should call this higher power something, perhaps God would do. It would have the power that goes beyond the senses. Perhaps I should accept this God of mine as a higher power. But that would mean a power greater than me, could this be possible?

Can I really create something that is greater than me? Can I then follow the edicts of this God to help control me? I would have to bow down to the power of this God and listen to and live by the words of this Higher Power. What has this God of mine ever done for me?

The rain kept me in my home and I repaired a water pipe that saved many valuables, valuables precious to me. The sun chased me into my cool home where I was close to my phone, this saved my life. Could it be that this God of mine is already here? Could it be that this God of mine directed the rain, the sun and the clouds to help me help myself? Is this how a God works? Perhaps this higher power always was, is, and always shall be. …………............................................

I shall call this higher power God, for I am, I am his.



By David E. Gonzales and The Holy Spirit-

1 comment: